In this course we will master the details of differential calculus, and pursue some advanced topics and applications. We will also develop technical writing skills that allow clear communication of sophisticated ideas, and learn about some technological tools such as Mathematica useful to mathematical and scientific projects.
We will cover limits, continuity, derivatives, modelling, and applications.
The course syllabus is available here.
- Pre-Calculus Review
- Zero order: Continuity and Limits
- First order: Derivatives and Linear Approximation
- Models: Relationships and Differential Equations
- Undoing: Inverses and Antiderivatives
- Second Order: Parabolas and Extrema
- Homework 1, due Friday, September 6.
- Homework 2, due Wednesday, September 11
- Homework 3, due Wednesday, September 18
You can download Mathematica (for free) by following this link. You will be asked to create an account. After you have created an account and logged in, return to that link to download Mathematica for your computer.
Your worst midterm will only count for half the weight that the other two do.
- Test 1 on Tuesday September 24
- Test 2 on Tuesday October 22
- Test 3 on Tuesday November 12
- Final Exam TBD
Graphing calculators will not be allowed on tests. Scientific, non-programmable calculators will be allowed. I will have some to share, but not enough for everyone.
The textbook for this course is Single Variable Essential Calculus Early Transcendentals, Second Edition, by James Stewart. The ISBN is 1-1331-1278-1.
Be warned that there are several custom versions of this textbook floating around, and they do not contain the same problems. In particular, in past years some students have purchased the international version which (1) is much cheaper and (2) doesn’t contain the same homework problems as the assigned text. This is terrible and I apologize but I can’t do much other than warn you. Please make sure the book you purchase has the correct ISBN.
There are electronic versions of the textbook available from the publisher for rent or purchase.